Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Alternative culture: The banning of the Lord's Prayer


Recently, some cinemas in the UK has banned an advert on the Lord's prayer. While many articles have been written for and against it, I personally was quite surprised that the cinemas proceeded with the ban. Do not get me wrong; I am neither for or against the decision, as I feel as an outsider (who only studied in the UK for 4 years), it is not my place.

Why I am surprised
Firstly, the Church of England is a political entity in the UK. Unlike secular Singapore, the Church of England has some level of political sway. Being accustomed to seeing the Archbishop in Parliament and Bishops on the regular BBC news programmes, I was surprised to hear that cinema-goers might be offended by it.

Secondly, so wouldn't denying them a right to advertise would be against free speech? Sure one may say that the Muslims and Hindus would have to be given that right, and I would agree-- if they paid for it, they should be allowed to advertise.

That's all I have to write about it.

The video in question.


For further reading
Seven reasons to ban

No comments: