Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Theology 1.0: Dr Tan Lai Yong


Two things I ask of you, Lord;
    do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
    give me neither poverty nor riches,
    but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
    and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
    and so dishonor the name of my God.   -- Proverbs 30: 7 - 9

Recently, I had the honour of meeting Dr Tan Lai Yong. Hailed for his charity work by the Singapore Parliament in March 2014, I have sometimes heard his name mentioned as a bright shining example of Christendom.

Inspired by Proverbs 30:7-9, Dr Tan dedicated his life to help people who are less well-off. This includes the poor in China and foreign workers, the elderly and ex-offenders in Singapore.

What amazes me is his simple lifestyle. Clad in a simple pair of jeans and a university-sponsored shirt, he greeted my students while advocating a life of volunteerism to my students.

Thanks Dr Tan, for living a live dedicated to God and avoiding a materialistic lifestyle so endorsed by our affluent lifestyle.

For further reading
Wandering Saint

No comments: