Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Conversion Story-- Summer

Summer (2001-2004)

So there I was in the summer of my academic growth. To my own surprise, I was excelling in almost every academic subject. I could not remember what it was like to struggle barely a year ago. I remeber feeling as if I was a different person. I graduated from secondary school, finishing the top 10% of the cohort, and went on top one of the best pre-universities in Singapore (Victoria Junior College). Although I was not anywhere near the top student of that school, I am preety proud of the way I progressed. Thanks to the school, the Debate Society, the Writers' Circle and the Science Research Society, my analytical and critical thinking skills improved and by far.

Nevertheless, I thought that God could be reasoned out. The world was such a pluralistic place; how can anyone religion be right? When I was taught evolution, I realised we removed God from the origin of species. Why did we need God, when nature could show itself to create? In my despair, I remembered praying alone in school, hoping God would send a sign. But there was none. No thunder, lightning or even rain fell from the sky.

"That's it!" I thought in my heart. I thought God did not exist. However, I kept it from my parents, and still attended church regularly. The strong didn't need God. I was strong, both academically, and intellectually, or so I thought.

Little did I know, after my summer, I was due for a fall.

No comments: