Friday, June 04, 2010

Conversion Story -- Spring

Hello readers!

As promised, my next series of posts will be my personal story, of how I became Christian.

I will write it in probably a four to five part series. So without further ado, I let me begin.

Spring (1986--2000)

I am truly blessed and loved. My parents never fail to remind me about that fact through their words and deeds. I have a caring family who brought me up in a stable home. Although I was never well-to-do, at least the income my Dad brought into the family was enough for three full meals for the five of us.

I guess that's one of the blessings of a Chinese Christian family. My parents, although strict with me, also showed great affection for me, and I can never repay them for that.

However, between me and my siblings, my parents did note something different about me-- I had a keen mind that was always questioning. At least that was what my teachers, parents and my peers remembered of me.

For instance, when I was 6, my teacher read the story of Snow White to us, and all the kindergarten children were happy with the story except me.

"What happened to the woodcutter?" I recalled asking (or along that line).

The teacher asked what I meant, and I remembered telling her that if I were the queen who dispatched the woodcutter to kill Snow White and he let her go, I would have taken my revenge on him.

On another note, my parents noticed how interested I was with the natural world, raving about dinosaurs and observing the movement of ant colonies above ground. At that age, I marvel at the wonderness of nature and atrributed it to a divine Creator. At that age, the reason why I really wanted to study biology was to know God better. At that time, God was still an abstract concept

However, I was not a really a well-behaved, or disciplined student in my early days in secondary school. I guess it was because the friends I made in primary school and the fact that I did not need to work hard to get promoted to the next level. Sometimes, I wonder if my secondary two teacher ever forgave me for the horrid time I gave her.

Then I realised I had to work hard-- due to limited resources, my school only could offer 1 biology class for the students. And the class was only available for the top students. After the Secondary 2 mid-year examinations, it was revealed that I was ranked 100+ out of about 160 students. I had to jump over 60 positions in order to make the top class of 40.

So I gritted my teeth and I slogged hard. I started reading and spending more time in my work. After the final exams, I was ranked 16th, better than I expected, and I made it into the top class unexpectedly.

I attributed my success to God, but my spiritual life was unprepared for the summer of my personal ego to come.

No comments: