Saturday, December 01, 2018

My Confessions: Reflection on Esther 4


One can sometimes do good by being the right person in the wrong place. -- GK Chesterton

One of the Bible's heroes I admire is Esther. After all, she was queen, had a book (and possibly a sweet-smelling chemical compound) named after her and was the beauty of the land. When i was young, I thought she was pretty brave to stand up to the king to save the Jews.

Recently, I had the privilege of reading it again. While not diminishing her bravery, I realised that she was initially reluctant to save her people from governmental persecution when first informed of a conspiracy by her cousin Mordecai. In fact, she only moved to action after she was told that she would be an eventual target. In Esther 4: 12 -14,

When Esther’s words were reported to Mordecai, he sent back this answer: “Do not think that because you are in the king’s house you alone of all the Jews will escape. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”

I began to realised that God had placed Esther in a position of power not because she was particularly courageous or moral, but so that she could be used for a divine purpose.

What I learnt
Despite my current predicament or situation (no matter how bad it is), I know that God can use me. Not because I am particularly talented, but because of God's foresightedness and love.


No comments: