Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Miss USA 2009 controversy (International News)

The representaion of California, Ms Carrie Prejean was on her way to win the Miss USA crown, when she was asked this question, by well-known gay, Perez Hilton :

"Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?"

She replied:

"Well I think it’s great that Americans are able to choose one way or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. You know what, in my country, in my family, I do believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, no offense to anybody out there. But that’s how I was raised and I believe that it should be between a man and a woman."

I applaud her reply. In the aftermath of Proposition 8 in California, she stood up, made her reply sraight and to the point, and stuck to her beliefs.

Let me get this straight-- I don't agree with her reply, yet I admire her willingness to be true to herself and not come up with some politically correct answer.

I am very disapppointed that some people criticised her view to be honest, and failed to realised where she was coming from.

Ben Tan

The Alternative: Promoting open, honest discussions.

No comments: